Friday, January 25, 2008

Not keeping up here

I do admire those who make entries on a regular, dependable basis. I can see that keeping up a steady pace is going to be a problem for me. I have to decide if I'm writing for myself or for possible readers. I remember the very first time I heard of blogs years ago, I thought they were a terrible idea. Why would someone put their "business" out there for anyone to see? Having made that judgement, I as surprised that I am doing this now, even if it is only to share recipes.

First I want to share the recipe for Ham Delights that my daughter will need if she decides to make them for the Super Bowl Party.

This version is from Cooks.com with a few tweaks from me.

2 sticks of butter
3 tablespoons of poppy seeds (the seeds may cause someone to test positive on certain drug tests, and I usually reduce the amount to 2 tablespoons)
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
1 lb. boiled ham, chopped
1/2 lb. Swiss cheese, cut into small squares
3 packages of Pepperidge Farms party rolls (These are the rolls that are about the diameter of a quarter. I use rolls the size of the dinner rolls that White Castle burgers are made on - 2 dozen. I have even used Sub rolls before when not preparing them for a party.)

Blend the first five ingredients together and spread on both sides of the cut surfaces of the rolls. Try to keep the sheets of rolls attached because it will be easier to spread the butter mixture that way. Divide the ham and cheese evenly between all the rolls. and and if they came in aluminum foil trays, cover tightly with foil. If the rolls came in a plastic bag, completely wrap the assembled delights into two or three foil packages. At this point you can freeze them for later use or to use at different times. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 400° and heat still in the foil 10 minutes or until very warm. If you froze them, increase heating time and lower the oven temperature to 350° so that they will thaw inside before drying out or burning on the outside.

Teriyaki Wings
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 lbs. chicken drumettes
Combine in a large bowl or ziplock bag all ingredients except chicken and mix well. (If I have time, I look over the wings and trim off any large pieces of fat I can see and even some of the ridge of skin that runs down the side of the "flats," as my girls call them.) Add the chicken and stir so that the marinade cover all. If using a bowl, cover it or close the bag and put in a bowl or on a tray so that if it leaks, it won't mess up your whole refrigerator. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Turn it the bag or stir the bowl occasionally. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375° and cover a shallow pan with aluminum foil (I use heavy duty foil because this gets really messy). Arrange the wings in a single layer. Bake 40 to 45 minutes (longer if your wings were really large). Baste occasionally with the marinade. I turn mine about halfway through the cooking time. Some people bake theirs on a rack, but I find that the marinade will thicken up and coat the wings if they cook directly in it.

Well, that's it for today. I'll try to get back here tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

My mouth is beginning to water just thinking about those wings! I really should remember to fix them for dinner one night. I don't know why I never think of it. Have you ever had Asian slaw? I think it uses vinegar and other things as the dressing instead of mayonaise. I have had it before but don't have a recipe. I think that would be really great to serve with these.

Love,
Your Daughter, The Diva