Friday, January 18, 2008

This is fun!

Well, I survived my entry into the world of blogging and was amazed to find some comments. Thank you, ladies, so much.

Some days I may not give a recipe, but instead give a few shortcuts or tips to make things quicker, easier, tastier, or more economical. I hope you will not feel that I am insulting you. After all my years in the kitchen, I still look for new ways to do things. Sometimes they work for me and sometimes not.

Tonight I'm not cooking anything special because hubby had a large lunch when his office went out to celebrate someone's birthday. I'm planning on grilled ham and cheese sandwiches which have been a mainstay for us from our earliest married days. I do have a few tips I have gleaned along the way, so I'll share those with you tonight.

1. This is a good way to use up bread that isn't the very freshest.
2. I used to melt the butter in the skillet, but now I actually spread a very thin layer of mayo on
the outside of each slice of bread.
3. I have the heat on medium low so that the insides will have time to warm up by the time the
outside has turned golden brown.
4. Watch them closely. They can go from golden to black in a jiffy.
5. One or two each of thin ham slices and cheese are enough. If you put too much cheese, it will

ooze out while you're eating the sandwich.

If you want to gild the lily, so to speak, you can lightly beat an egg or two with a tablespoon of water per egg and dip the sandwich in that before you put it into the skillet. If you do this, you will need to melt some butter in the skillet.

If you want to really go overboard, you can dip the sandwich in dried bread crumbs before putting the sandwiches in the skillet.

Now it's actually Saturday. I lost this post last night, but after trying several things, I seem to have gotten it back.

Last night Hubby wanted the sandwiches prepared in a little sandwich grill he bought for $2. about a month ago at Goodwill. This purchase was soooo out of character for him that I am still amazed. His best work friend is very careful with his money and they go there sometimes on their lunch hour. His friend has one of these and likes it. Our sandwiches keep sticking. I have a rain check from Dillard's department store right now for the new George Foreman Grill that comes with multiple plates that can go in the dishwasher. The ad said the regular price was $149.99, but they were selling it the week before Christmas for $89. and then you could mail in a form for a $10. rebate. They were out when I went for mine, but they did give me the rain check and said they would send me a postcard when the new shipment came in. I call every week just so I can get a jump on them, but they haven't come in yet. They may be on the truck Tuesday or Wednesday. I certainly hope so because I have so many things I want to try. I'll keep you posted. If you have any experience with these grills and want to share, I'm very interested.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi Mom! As you know Michael and I only have the tiny little original George Foreman grill because it is just the right size for the two of us. We love to use it for sanwiches. I tell Michael that they are Paninis and he thinks they are oh so fancy. My favorite kind of bread to use for those is a French Baguette that I slice on the diagonal so that the slices are large enough for sandwiches. I spread margarine on the outsides of the bread and then press the lid down to flatten the sanwiches some. My favorite is grilled chicken (that I make on the GF) with sun dried tomatoes, motzarella cheese and baby spinach leaves. Yum Yum Yum!!! Until your new GF comes in you could always try that mom!
Love,
Your daughter, The Diva