Saturday, February 2, 2008

Crunch time on the Super Bowl recipes

I must be an idiot when it comes to this blogging stuff. Why do I have to reset my font and color every time? Sometimes it won't even let me have arial, but forces me to use the dreaded New Times Roman which I do hate.

Well, on to the recipes. One that I always get requests for is "Janet's Cheese ball." Janet is my niece. She brought this to my house for Christmas 10 years ago, although it seems like yesterday. That's what happens when you get old - time just flies on by. I like this because it's easy to keep the ingredients on hand, it's quick, and it makes just a small amount, but it's easy to double, triple, quadruple (yes, I have), well, you get the idea.

Janet’s Cheese Ball

For each 8 oz. block of cream cheese you need 1 pkg. of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, kept dry (regular or the Zesty, you can’t tell the difference)
Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Pepper

Soften the cream cheese to room temperature and mix in the dry salad dressing. Form into a ball and roll it in Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Pepper. That’s it. Do make at least a few hours ahead of time so the veggie flakes from the dressing can rehydrate.
We like it with Triscuits and Wheat Thins, but use your favorite cracker. The Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Pepper is with the spices, and is in a cardboard container like the small Kraft's Parmesan Cheese package. Look hard, along the bottom of the shelves and you will probably find it. If you can't locate it in your stores, it's made of coarsely cracked black pepper and the herbs and spices that are in Lawry's Seasoned Salt, without the salt.
I'm off to Paula Deen's Food Network site to look for a recipe she made earlier this week. I missed the part of the show where she made it, but saw it at the end and was interested. Kathryn took what she thought were my chicken wings out of the freezer to thaw and I didn't pay attention until it was too late - she got out huge breasts. So, I'll be trying something new. The recipe had what looked like small pieces of chicken tenderloin wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with something. I'll just cut up the whole breasts. I might try making what some restaurants call boneless wings by cutting the breasts into appropriately sized pieces and proceeding with my Teriyaki Wing recipe.
That's all for tonight.

No comments: