Sunday, February 3, 2008

Tinkering with a recipe

I decided to use the chicken breasts that were accidentally thawed for a casserole for Sunday supper. Hubby likes good old comfort food, even while watching the Super Bowl. I used a recipe called Creamy Chicken and Rice from my new Taste of Home Recipe Card magazine I bought Friday. I made a few changes to start with, and I suspected that it was going to make way more than I wanted, even though it said it served 6. I'd say it would serve 10 generously. So, while my mind is fresh, I'm going to write out the changes I'll make next time because we did like it enough for me to make it again.

My Creamy Chicken and Rice

Cook until tender chicken pieces that will give you 2 to 2-1/2 cups diced meat, approx. 45 minutes – time depends on size and type of pieces. Or use leftover chicken or supermarket Rotisserie chicken.

Prepare 1 box of Uncle Ben’s Wild and White Rice Mix according to package directions. When rice is cooked spread in bottom of 9” x 9” Pyrex baking dish.

While rice cooks, de-bone and cube chicken – need 2 to 2-1/2 cups.

Preheat oven to 425°.

Also while rice cooks, make white sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 c milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Stir almost constantly.

Reduce heat; add 6 to 8 oz. cubed Velveeta and 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream. Stir until cheese is melted. Stir in the cubed chicken. (Next time consider adding toasted slivered almonds for taste or frozen peas and diced pimiento for color.) Pour over rice in the casserole.

Melt 3 tablespoons additional butter; toss 24 crushed saltines with the butter. Sprinkle over the casserole.

Bake uncovered at 425° for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through and saltines are golden. Serves 4 to 6 people.

This morning, Kat cooked up a storm in my kitchen - homemade pound cake, two bite brownies, cheese ball, teriyaki wings, and she got together the ingredients for the meatballs that she'll prepare at her friend's house. She reminds me of my late mother-in-law. She was a whirling dervish in the kitchen. She could cook up a scratch meal in 1 hour and have the kitchen clean at the same time.

That's all for tonight.


No comments: